Monday, September 14, 2009

16 Week Update

I'm now almost 17 weeks (Wednesday), so forgive the belated update from last week's midwife appointment (mostly for my mother).  I gained 4.5 lbs since the last visit and she said my urine was the best she's ever seen (an exaggeration, I'm sure, but something to be proud of.  :)  yay for drinking lots of water).  At these visits, we mostly just talk about things like how I'm sleeping, what I'm eating, my stress level, etc.  Each visit lasts about an hour, and I get the attention of both the midwife and the midwife apprentice.

I've started more clearly feeling the baby.  It took me a bit to be confident that the baby was what I was noticing, but I especially notice it moving when I'm sitting or driving (perhaps the pressure of the seat belt against my belly?).  I'm excited to be feeling him/her move (we're not finding out the gender).

Since we're not doing ultrasounds, (I'll keep from giving you the rationale for all our decisions, but feel free to ask), we'll first be able to hear the baby's heart beat at our next visit (a little over 20 weeks on 10.10.09) using what's called a fetoscope, a special sort of stethoscope.  The midwife will come to our apartment for the appointment, and we're doing a Saturday so Dan can be there.

If I remember, I want to take and post photos of our midwife, Sue, midwife apprentice, Cherill (presently on her way to Africa for some missionary midwifery!  She goes regularly.), and our doula, Cindy.  All three are awesome women and they each have grown children. That's all for now!  Off to bed for me!


No comments: